You may think by the title of my blog post that it is written about HBO's Game of Thrones (which I am a huge fan); however, I literally mean in this case - winter is coming. As I have mentioned in previous blog posts, I love to ski! It is one of the only things I enjoy about the winter.
My favourite place to ski that is a reasonable drive (under 3 hours) is Holiday Valley in Ellicottville, New York. I have been skiing there for over 30 years.
Here are some stats about Holiday Valley:
- Yearly Average Snowfall - 180 inches
- Snow making Coverage - 95%
- Vertical Rise - 750 feet
- Base Elevation - 1500 feet
- Top Elevation - 2250 feet
- Total Acreage - 1400 acres
- Ski-able Acreage - 290 acres
- Number of Day Trails - 58
- Number of Night Trails - 37
- Total Uphill Skier Capacity - 23,850 people per hour
- Number of Lifts - 13
- High Speed Quad Chairs -3
- Fixed Grip Quad Chairs- 8
- Surface Lifts - 2
Holiday Valley is great for families. The get a lot of snow and make a lot of snow. It has a lot of great night skiing as well.
They also have numerous places you can stay. We like to stay at the Tamarack Club which has a great indoor/outdoor pool and 2 hot tubs to enjoy after a long day of skiing.
If you are looking to try a new place to ski, I would highly recommend giving Holiday Valley a try.